The JBC: A Jeff Buckley Community

UNCUT Issue July 2013

« Older   Newer »
Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 7/7/2013, 01:44

Yeah, I know. He must have been super pissed to get that present.

So the dying screen isn't indicative of the whole unit? Just the screen is failing -- not the battery?

The screen needs to warm up?

my pillow the kiss
view post Posted on 7/7/2013, 15:44

Stay far away from guitar shops for fixing the action on an acoustic, if it's old then most likely it needs a neck reset. I got a Martin from 1932 and it needed a lot of work, I took it to a luthier here and he did a good job. No association whatsoever with a guitar shop, the only time I took my tele to a guitar shop the "tech" stole my 9v battery and got globs of solder all over the body. Another "tech" in Dublin charges people 20 euros to put on a pair of strings, can't people just read how to do it on the net? Bunch of scammers

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 7/7/2013, 22:16

That probably makes the most sense -- that a friend of Jeff's leaked the 4-tracks. Who else could have done so? I doubt someone at Sony would have. As usual, we'll never know any of the answers to most of our questions. Mary needs to step down and let us steer the ship. It's only right.

Thanks for all the info -- very nice of you. I better start playing more often. I sometimes go days without playing.

I got my acoustic in '98. I don't like going to guitar shops, period. Anytime I've asked for the action on my electrics to be adjusted, I'm still left with buzzing strings, and a massive bill for essentially nothing. How'd you get such an old guitar? I have a banjo, that I got from my grandpa, (it's completely unplayable though) which must be from the 20s or prior -- since he got it when he was a child. A tech actually stole your battery? Talk about excellent customer service. I guess I should find a luthier. I still have buzzing strings and I can't get any solid harmonics with my neck pickup. Speaking of the neck pickup -- is it normal for guitar players to angle their pickups the way that was mentioned above -- a la Jeff having his angled higher for the treble strings? How do you guys have yours?

my pillow the kiss
view post Posted on 10/7/2013, 22:06

Yeah "tone" arguments just get silly. Kinda like aimless guitar solos.

I was in a cover band back in Portugal with good money, was living with my dad so after a summer's work I used the money I had saved up to get a vintage Martin. It's all mahogany so it's cheaper than most other vintage ones, but I love the sound of all mahogany anyway. Was about 2200 dollars.

Definitely not a good idea to sand the saddle of an acoustic bridge. My Martin had had its bridge shaved a few times, and when I got it the wood in front of the saddle actually snapped off, it had been weakened so much by the extra pressure, had to get a repro bridge installed. Luckily my luthier had a source of Brazilian rosewood.

I keep my pickups flat too. Like Fish says, the balance between them is the most important.

mabfarie
view post Posted on 24/10/2013, 09:31

QUOTE (YourFishIsSoNice @ 28/6/2013, 06:47) 
Check your pm. I love Chris Dowd's voice and vocal styling. You can really tell WWYS is something he wrote. That song he wrote for Jeff at the tribute was pretty awesome too.

Man, who knows what Mary is up to or what her plans are with the music. That's the problem, really. She sighs about how "off" we are in our speculations, but what are we to do in the midst of all the silence? It would be pretty easy to clear things up. She doesn't have to promise anything or guarantee a release of Jeff's demos. Just talk about the state of the unreleased music or any potential future plans. If Mary can't/won't do that, the really frustrating part is there's no one else to turn to for answers. I hope the songs aren't being kept so they can be released one by one for the 20th Anniversary, 30th Anniversary, 40th Anniversary etc. The people who care about this shit aren't getting any younger.

She must see the increase of new things on the net Sony doesn't make that much from there music co she should release more most of the rights on TV/Radio and MTV are long expired so it wouldn't cost much for them to put things out we don't need a new Grace w/added every year .

mabfarie
view post Posted on 24/10/2013, 10:02

QUOTE (dream sister @ 4/7/2013, 11:46) 
I read somewhere that guys from Sony to Memphis as soon they heard Jeff was missing and took all they could found (tapes, notes, and so on ....).

yes one of the guy's at Jeff's home when he was missing.The made every one leave Jeff had passably homeless girl staying there who was thrown out and got every tape they could find and put them into black trash bags it was done very fast.Jeff was missing at the time and the guy who did the interview made it sound almost like a police raid and had to keep his mouth shut for years about it. I looked for the interview I had it bookmarked years ago and can't find it the guy fells bad about it he was doing his job and it didn't seem wrong at the time the tape burning party rumor.

QUOTE (YourFishIsSoNice @ 29/6/2013, 06:22) 
This is the gig:
http://flowersintime.org/show.php?gigid=252

I meant Mary's reactions whenever she hears someone say they are scraping the bottom of the barrel or holding something back (like that Radio Exile interview she did for So Real in 2007). http://radioexile.com/2007/06/14/68143/ She then talks about all the unheard tapes sitting in boxes and shows that can be released - then goes quiet for another 3-4 years.

Here were Mary's digital plans from 2008:
We haven't heard the last of Jeff Buckley. His mother, Mary Guibert, who compiled both of Buckley's posthumous releases, including the recent Mystery White Boy live album, is now planning a subscription-only series of previously unreleased recordings which could run to as many as 20 CDs. They will include unedited recordings of entire live concerts, Buckley's first demos and material he wrote with Liz Fraser of the Cocteau Twins. In addition, Guibert told Uncut, there are "20 to 30" tapes left in the Buckley archive which she has not yet even begun to investigate.

Guibert says she prefers the subscription-only idea to a more commercially-oriented box set. "I want to do it warts and all rather than refining it down as we did for Mystery White Boy," she explains. "I think for those who really have an affection for Jeff's work, giving them the opportunity to have half a dozen, full-length unexpurgated concerts would be the way to go. I'm moving away from the idea of more high-profile, high-promotion releases. Mystery White Boy may be the last one we do like that. I tend towards a more hand-made series where we take orders and then only produce so many."

The albums would be sold via the Jeff Buckley free e-mail newsletter which Guibert sends to 12,000 subscribers every fortnight (sign up at jeffbuckley.com). "That's what gave me the idea for a subscription series," she says. "Bootleggers are getting 50 dollars a pop for lousy recordings. So let's put out the Glastonbury concert and Rotterdam, and the recordings of all the other special nights. They deserve a place in the Jeff Buckley aficionado's collection. We could have a row of 20 CDs of full concerts from beginning to end."

I guess that's where the digital Live from King Theatre release came from. Sadly that's all we got. MG talks about not releasing private/intimate demos from the vaults (as long as she's alive) in this interview (13 mins in):
Video

Don't know if that means Sky Blue Skin and any others of that ilk, but oh well. At the same time, I don't see these types of WIP demos making a physical release that isn't Sketches for My Sweetheart the Drunk related or maybe a limited fan-based subscription model like she mentioned in 2008. Grace NPA is definitely deserving of an HD release. Aside from Nick Drake's generous parents being openly supportive with sharing intimate recordings/demos to fans, I don't really know of any "gone before their time" artist who's estate shares so freely. Best we can probably hope for is a leak.

Sky Blue Skin might be some thing Micheal only has ? There is also a lot of live shows Video taped most of the live bootlegs if you see copied from sound board or DAT.Sony would take those I do recall story's of Jeff making friends with the sound guy and got a few sound board tapes he didn't like his shows being recorded and filmed by Sony.

20 replies since 14/6/2013, 20:02   779 views