The JBC: A Jeff Buckley Community

The JB Musical Gear/Tab Thread, Guitars/Amps/Effects/Etc...

« Older   Newer »
YourFishIsSoNice
icon12  view post Posted on 12/1/2010, 05:10

Video

Edited by YourFishIsSoNice - 16/11/2015, 21:39

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 15/1/2010, 23:05

Sounds pretty sweet. How did you acquire the Quad? They don't make them anymore. I want me one of dem tings.

Add me to msn if you'd like. It's easier to communicate and play dirty games that way.

[email protected]

barside_angel
view post Posted on 16/1/2010, 18:34

That's really cool! It does sound uncannily like "Chocolate".

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 16/1/2010, 22:50

QUOTE (YourFishIsSoNice @ 16/1/2010, 22:00)
QUOTE (Tequila Vampire @ 15/1/2010, 23:05)
Sounds pretty sweet. How did you acquire the Quad? They don't make them anymore. I want me one of dem tings.

Add me to msn if you'd like. It's easier to communicate and play dirty games that way.

[email protected]

I bought it used off ebay. You can find one pretty cheap these days. I've always wanted one because the guitarist in The Verve used it on A Storm In Heaven. I was surprised the manual was still intact. If it wasn't for that, I don't think I'd have ever figure out the trick to "Chocolate."

Do you know when Jeff got his? I'm curious if there's any Quadraverb on Live at Sin-e. I don't see it sitting on his amp in any of the pics. Although it could have been with the sound guy, as you can hear Jeff telling him to add more reverb.

If you ever get one, let me know and I'll hook you up with the settings.

(IMG:http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/5447/123dwp.jpg)

Don't have msn, but you can send love letters to musicofhair at yahoo dot com. :hi:

QUOTE (barside_angel @ 16/1/2010, 18:34)

Thanks!

I don't think he had it in his Sin-é days. He doesn't really have any effects other than reverb in the Sin-é recordings. I'm guessing he got it sometime in late '93. He probably purchased it with this Columbia money. He also didn't have the Seymour Duncan bridge pickup at that point. I guess he got the pickup and Quad around the same time.

Are there any problems with your unit? I'm cynical aboot buying anything that is used. Especially something over the internet that I can't test first. But I still want one.

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 17/1/2010, 05:34

QUOTE (YourFishIsSoNice @ 17/1/2010, 01:30)
QUOTE (Tequila Vampire @ 16/1/2010, 22:50)
QUOTE (YourFishIsSoNice @ 16/1/2010, 22:00)
QUOTE (Tequila Vampire @ 15/1/2010, 23:05)

[email protected]

I bought it used off ebay. You can find one pretty cheap these days. I've always wanted one because the guitarist in The Verve used it on A Storm In Heaven. I was surprised the manual was still intact. If it wasn't for that, I don't think I'd have ever figure out the trick to "Chocolate."

Do you know when Jeff got his? I'm curious if there's any Quadraverb on Live at Sin-e. I don't see it sitting on his amp in any of the pics. Although it could have been with the sound guy, as you can hear Jeff telling him to add more reverb.

If you ever get one, let me know and I'll hook you up with the settings.

(IMG:http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/5447/123dwp.jpg)

Don't have msn, but you can send love letters to musicofhair at yahoo dot com. :hi:

QUOTE (barside_angel @ 16/1/2010, 18:34)

Thanks!

I don't think he had it in his Sin-é days. He doesn't really have any effects other than reverb in the Sin-é recordings. I'm guessing he got it sometime in late '93. He probably purchased it with this Columbia money. He also didn't have the Seymour Duncan bridge pickup at that point. I guess he got the pickup and Quad around the same time.

Are there any problems with your unit? I'm cynical aboot buying anything that is used. Especially something over the internet that I can't test first. But I still want one.

I was pretty cautious aboot the used thing too. Luckily, the previous owner didn't use it that much so it's in pretty good condition. The bad thing about Quadraverbs is they have an internal battery. Even though mine is relatively unused, chances are I will soon have to open it up and find a replacement.

Here's a link talking about the subject:
http://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=257689

Another problem with these old Quads is the LCD displays are reportedly prone to failing and are a bitch to replace. I've been very careful with mine so far and haven't encountered any problems. You should definitely get one. I'm trying to figure out a certain parameter for the reverb on Live in Chicago and it'll be great to troubleshoot it with another user.

If you have any more questions, let me know. The other effects (delay/tremolo/modulation/etc.) are surprisingly usable. I believe Buckethead uses an Alesis Midiverb II and the Quad can cop similar sounds.

What are you playing on nowadays? Do you still have your Cyber Twin? Pics. Pics. Pics. :hi:

Do you know how the Midiverb compares to what you have? Do you know if the newer Alesis units have the same options as the Quad? I wonder if it would be better to get something more modern?

Yes I still have the Cyber Twin SE. How did you remember that? It's a nice amp. Gives me a lot to play with. I still need to get my Seymour Duncan Rail pickup on the bridge of my Tele to complete my Jeff Tele model. I don't have any pics but this is just the same.

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 19/1/2010, 00:54

Looking at the Dream Brother video on Grace Around the World it appears that he is still using the original bridge pickup. And that was shot on December 2, '94.

Have you noticed that they tagged the Lover, You Should've Come Over performance date as November 8, 1994? They screwed that up. That night he was playing at the Green Mill in Chicago. May 13, '95 was the Metro gig.

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 19/1/2010, 07:04

Ok, let's talk about Jeff's sound/tabs. Do you have any idea how Jeff created that scratchy, delay sound in this version of Dream Brother at the 1:49 mark?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhd-zImzoiI#movie_player

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 20/1/2010, 01:10

That's sick. Sounds almost identical. All you did was mute the strings and slap them? It looks as if Jeff slides his pick up the neck a little ways on the Chicago DVD. It's hard to tell though because of the angle. How much did you pay for your Quad? What happens once the internal battery dies? Won't it become obsolete since the product is no longer in production?

See if you can give me some help with a tab for the MTV Grace performance. I've been trying to figure out the breakdown Jeff and Michael play at the 3:15-3:37 mark.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3x-6ptw62w

This is what I have so far. For the first run I combine what Jeff and Michael played.

e--0--0--0--0--9--5-----------7--9---10--9-------11--12--14--17---
B--0--4--5--7-10--7--8--10--8--10--12--10------10--12--14--15---
G--0--2--4--6--9--7--9--11--9--11--11--11------11--12--14--16---
D--2--4--5--7--0--0--9--11-------------------14----------------------
A--x--x--x--x--x--0----------------------------14----------------------
D--2--4--5--7--9--0----------------------------14----------------------

Cont'd

e--14--15--14--0---
B--14--14--14--0---
G--14--14--14--3---
D---------------- 2---
A-----------------2---
D---------------- 2--- Pardon the sloppy alignment.

Edited by Tequila Vampire - 20/1/2010, 22:45

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 20/1/2010, 23:01

Seems like they didn't do the best job designing the Quad, functionally speaking.

If you have time try to give a shot at what Michael plays during the first run of that progression.

Another couple things I've always wondered...In the Sketches Disc 1 take of Nightmares By The Sea do you know how that eerie, slightly muffled tone on Jeff's guitar during the intro riff was created? In the original mix (Disc 2 version) his guitar in the intro sounds a lot twangier by comparison. I'm wondering if the Disc 1 rendition is just some studio effect made by Andy Wallace? And in the disc 2 version as the 2nd riff kicks in (just before Jeff sings "Don't know what you asked for")...Any idea how he got that roaring guitar sound?

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 22/1/2010, 00:19

You're asking the wrong person about recording gear, effects. I don't know anything really. As for the eerie guitar intro I assume that was all Wallace's doing as that isn't the original recording. I don't know why he took out that roaring guitar effect. His version during that section sounds so flat and boring. But everything else beats the Verlaine mix. Thanks for the file. How did you lower Jeff's vocal level?

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 22/1/2010, 00:41

We should try to figure out what Jeff and Michael played during the improvised portion of the live versions of Mojo Pin after the giant vocal wale. In the Chicago DVD Michael appears to be playing this.

e---------------20--------------20---------------------------------------
B------18---------------18--------------17------17------17------17h18
G----------17---------------17--------------17---------------17--------
D--17---------------17--------------17---------------17----------------
A--------------------------------------------------------------------------
D--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 22/1/2010, 22:51

You know what? That eerie guitar effect in the intro of Nightmares is the same effect used in the main riff of Come As You Are by Nirvana. Both songs were mixed by Andy Wallace. So it's definitely his doing rather than Jeff and Kurt. I really want to find out how to get that sound for my own sake. I would love to use it on some of my own music.

There's so much stuff on Sketches that intrigues me. All of Back in N.Y.C. especially, the ending. He has a million things going on at once that I can't figure out.

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 30/1/2010, 02:09

How do you know which peddle Jeff used? Are you just taking a guess? The intro riff of Nightmares and the live So Real intro is the same effect then eh?

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 31/1/2010, 00:40

QUOTE (YourFishIsSoNice @ 30/1/2010, 09:07)
QUOTE (Tequila Vampire @ 30/1/2010, 02:09)
How do you know which peddle Jeff used? Are you just taking a guess? The intro riff of Nightmares and the live So Real intro is the same effect then eh?

I don't. :D Take what I say with a grain of salt. I'm guessing off of Jeff's "Kingdom For A Kiss" gear list and using my experience with some of the pedals listed (Whammy, Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz, TC Electronics Stereo Chorus).

Actually, I take back what I said about "So Real" using the TC Stereo Chorus. I forgot about the shimmery reverb. Anyway, I was messing around with the Quad and I came across a certain chorus patch. Bam! Instant "So Real"!

Check it out:
http://hc.bloodyvelvet.com/files/167/02.%2...rus%20Intro.mp3

I then dialed out most of the reverb, tweaked the modulation and eventually ended up with this:
http://hc.bloodyvelvet.com/files/167/01.%2...res%20Intro.mp3

Not perfect, but it should give you an idea.

The So Real intro sounds amazing. Good job. Would you mind tabbing out the improvised live part? After hearing that I definitely need to get me a Quad, pronto. I think I already asked you this but what are you using to record? The clarity is awesome.

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 31/1/2010, 23:19

QUOTE (YourFishIsSoNice @ 31/1/2010, 07:21)
QUOTE (Tequila Vampire @ 31/1/2010, 00:40)
The So Real intro sounds amazing. Good job. Would you mind tabbing out the improvised live part? After hearing that I definitely need to get me a Quad, pronto. I think I already asked you this but what are you using to record? The clarity is awesome.

Thanks! Yeah, you will love the Quadraverb. It does Jeff stuff, plus so much more. Great unit. I bet they'll be collectable and will start to appreciate in a few years.

For recording, I used a Shure SM57 microphone straight into the computer. The SM57 is the most commonly used mic in recording. It's affordable and perfect for nearly all applications.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/produ...-Mic?sku=270102

Software:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Amp/Guitar:
(IMG:http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/4217/1234dg.jpg)
Bass was at 5 and the treble was between 7 & 8 (I find this is a nice sweet spot for Jeff's Sin-e/solo period). For non-Jeff stuff, I usually keep the treble between 5 and 6.

Looking at Jeff's amp from Live in Chicago, the settings he used were insane:
(IMG:http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/4033/jeffsettings.jpg)
The treble and bass are completely dimed. Zero amp reverb, though. I guess he plugged straight into the Quadraverb and that fed into both the Vibroverb and Tremoverb.

I don't know if it's correct, but I used this tab for the So Real intro:
www.mediafire.com/?toy5yomz0uy

That mic plugs into computers?

Did you install that Seymour Duncan pickup on your guitar yourself? Is the difference in tone really noticeable?

572 replies since 12/1/2010, 05:10   24362 views