The JBC: A Jeff Buckley Community

Who should play the part of Jeff Buckley?

« Older   Newer »
Elo2
view post Posted on 24/8/2009, 10:28

The majority of us think it should be James Franco. I also do. But has anyone else thought about Johnny Depp? I've just thought about him. He's one of the best actors of the moment and he quite looks like Jeff. He would propably even be better than James Franco. I wonder if the producers have thought about him, (instead of proposing to Robert Pattinson :S).

citydress
view post Posted on 25/8/2009, 11:56

Johnny Depp's an incredible actor, but he's 46 now and although he looks AMAZING for his age, there's no way he can pull off a 20-something-year-old Jeff Buckley. *shrug* Even Franco's getting too old for me now.

Maybe wait for Franco to have a son, leave it alone for 20-odd years, and hope that it turns out looking even more like Jeff than his father. image That also leaves a lot of time for the studio/Mary to seriously reconsider the atrocious idea of a Jeff Buckley biopic.

Stars
view post Posted on 26/8/2009, 10:50

I have to say i really hope a film never happens although with the daily growing interest in Buckley it seems that is will...

citydress
view post Posted on 26/8/2009, 11:46

Gosh, I know, it's amazing how many people know of him now! I brought A Pure Drop with me on my travels, and have made so many friends through it - people seeing it, doing a double take, then shouting at me across the room "I LOVE Jeff Buckley!".

No Americans, however. Just Australian/French/British/Irish kids. But I'm sure he's growing in popularity over there too now, since the whole American Idol thing... poor dude.

deaf_dumb_blind
view post Posted on 27/8/2009, 22:13

QUOTE (citydress @ 26/8/2009, 12:46)
No Americans, however. Just Australian/French/British/Irish kids. But I'm sure he's growing in popularity over there too now, since the whole American Idol thing... poor dude.

I know what you mean. I play Jeff's stuff on full blast in my car whenever I go out and I've yet to have any American recognize his voice. But when I went to Canada, while we were driving on the roads on Vancouver (ironically listening to Vancouver), I don't know how many people turned to look at our car and give me the nod of knowing. One car even rolled down their window and held up their copy of Grace. Not many people in the US really recognize Jeff. That's why I love getting foreign exchange students from France or England because most of them know who Jeff is...

Stars
view post Posted on 28/8/2009, 00:04

QUOTE (deaf_dumb_blind @ 27/8/2009, 23:13)

I know what you mean. I play Jeff's stuff on full blast in my car whenever I go out and I've yet to have any American recognize his voice. But when I went to Canada, while we were driving on the roads on Vancouver (ironically listening to Vancouver), I don't know how many people turned to look at our car and give me the nod of knowing. One car even rolled down their window and held up their copy of Grace. Not many people in the US really recognize Jeff. That's why I love getting foreign exchange students from France or England because most of them know who Jeff is...

We love Jeff in England but i think that is a reflection of the amount of time he spent promoting himself in the UK and the fact that he - Its just a shame that he never got to see the fruits of his hardwork.

chiranne
view post Posted on 28/8/2009, 22:15

QUOTE (citydress @ 25/8/2009, 12:56)
Johnny Depp's an incredible actor, but he's 46 now and although he looks AMAZING for his age, there's no way he can pull off a 20-something-year-old Jeff Buckley. *shrug* Even Franco's getting too old for me now.

Maybe wait for Franco to have a son, leave it alone for 20-odd years, and hope that it turns out looking even more like Jeff than his father. image That also leaves a lot of time for the studio/Mary to seriously reconsider the atrocious idea of a Jeff Buckley biopic.

Seeing Johnny Depp's last movie , I also was astonished by the fact that he really looks like Jeff , unfortunatly he's a bit too old for the part . I don't know if James Franco has a son , but Johnny Depp has one , a little Jack aged 7 (half-french !) maybe we can wait 13 or 14 years more ? And maybe in between , they will have given up the idea of a movie , which would be a good thing . I really don't want any actor , even someone I like , playing Jeff . The most terrible thing is that if a movie is finally made , I will swear to never see it , and I'm sure I won't be able to resist !

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 29/8/2009, 04:55

QUOTE (Elo2 @ 24/8/2009, 11:28)
The majority of us think it should be James Franco. I also do. But has anyone else thought about Johnny Depp? I've just thought about him. He's one of the best actors of the moment and he quite looks like Jeff. He would propably even be better than James Franco. I wonder if the producers have thought about him, (instead of proposing to Robert Pattinson :S).

Are you kidding me? Johnny Depp is in his mid 40s and he looks nothing like Jeff. Franco looks the most like him and is the closest to Jeff's age in the mid 90s. Too bad he's a terrible actor.

Us Canadians are just as clueless when it comes to Jeff as you Americans. I've only encountered one person here that actually knew about Jeff. Some girl that worked in a guitar store recognized me playing Grace and So Real a few years ago. I don't understand why North Americans are such fucking douchebags with little to no musical knowledge. Americans especially.

QUOTE (Stars @ 28/8/2009, 01:04)

We love Jeff in England but i think that is a reflection of the amount of time he spent promoting himself in the UK and the fact that he - Its just a shame that he never got to see the fruits of his hardwork.

We're still not seeing the fruits of his hard work. He's still just as unknown in America as he has ever been.

rojopin
view post Posted on 9/9/2009, 23:19

i wonder if the decision is already made. i was browsing imdb and found this interesting. in the part where it says in development: mystery white boy

just thought id throw that out there

anyways... ive tried a few time to post links, but it seems broken... won't accept any link i try

w3.imdb.com/name/nm0290556/

replace w3 with w w w

deaf_dumb_blind
view post Posted on 10/9/2009, 03:58

I hope I don't get shot for this, but has anyone considered Ethan Hawke for the role? I don't know if he'd be able to pull it off, as for his acting chops. But I recently saw the trailer for Ethan's new movie "Daybreakers", and something about him looked and reminded me a little of Jeff. I dunno. Maybe I'm just blind and mentally retarded?

Elo2
view post Posted on 10/9/2009, 18:52

Nope, you're not :) I think Ethan Hawke could be a good choice too, I hadn't thought of him

Sardonyx
view post Posted on 14/9/2009, 06:41

Before I read anything about the specualtion of casting Jeff Buckley I thought of James Franco. I could easily see a sensitive and vulnerable side to Franco, especially with his eyes. However, after seeing a few films with Joseph Gordon-Levitt, I think he would have made a good choice as well. Sure, he was a child star, but he's actually got tremendous acting chops. He's highly regarded by critics for his work in independent films. He's 28 now (just the right age to play Buckley) and I think he's really got the depth to play JB. Just my 2 cents! I'd love to see a film made, and hope it does go forth.

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 14/9/2009, 23:00

QUOTE (Sardonyx @ 14/9/2009, 07:41)
Before I read anything about the specualtion of casting Jeff Buckley I thought of James Franco. I could easily see a sensitive and vulnerable side to Franco, especially with his eyes. However, after seeing a few films with Joseph Gordon-Levitt, I think he would have made a good choice as well. Sure, he was a child star, but he's actually got tremendous acting chops. He's highly regarded by critics for his work in independent films. He's 28 now (just the right age to play Buckley) and I think he's really got the depth to play JB. Just my 2 cents! I'd love to see a film made, and hope it does go forth.

He (JGL) looks too ethnic to play Jeff.

TDKshorty
view post Posted on 17/9/2009, 16:38

I think James Franco looks most like him, but I've never heard him sing, though their voices are similar too.

Rob Pattinson has an AMAZING voice, I don't know all the hype about Twilight, I only saw a little bit of the film, but I didnt' pay attention to his acting- but I think he could do better. But he doesn't resemble Jeff at all.

how about Orlando Bloom??

Sardonyx
view post Posted on 17/9/2009, 20:02

QUOTE (Tequila Vampire @ 15/9/2009, 00:00)
He (JGL) looks too ethnic to play Jeff.

Well, when you look at bloodlines, he really isn't. JG-L has a Jewish father, but both Franco and Buckley have an "ethnic" mix. Franco has some Portuguese and Jewish blood, and we all know Jeff's mom is of French/Greek/Panamanian descent. But whatever. If James Franco has actually been cast for the part then I'm really looking forward to his interpretation. He's been known to really throw himself into a role, and for JB he'll really have to get intense!

201 replies since 24/8/2009, 10:28   8194 views