The JBC: A Jeff Buckley Community

The JB Musical Gear/Tab Thread, Guitars/Amps/Effects/Etc...

« Older   Newer »
Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 3/3/2010, 07:37

QUOTE (YourFishIsSoNice @ 3/3/2010, 06:34)
QUOTE (Tequila Vampire @ 3/3/2010, 05:33)
If top load bridges are easier for playing why did they switch the bridge in new models?

I'm still confused on this tab. The chord is definitely right but I can't figure out the rhythm. He's seems to be plucking individual strings.

The vintage appeal. The very first telecasters were string-through. Supposedly, due to direct contact with the body, the string-thru design helps with sustain. Guitarists are traditionalists and almost always shy away from change and innovation. It's the same reason why elitists prefer the 3 saddle tele bridge, even though it can't intonate its way out of a paper bag. :D

Yeah, the rhythm is a bit tricky; I can't figure it out either. Also, I'm sure there are some overtones that I'm missing.

So overall you think the modern Tele bridges are better than the 3 saddles? I don't know enough about guitars to realize the difference.

Yeah that rhythm is bugging the hell out of me. I even messaged the guitarist on Myspace a while back but got no response, lol.

Have you ever tried playing Jeff's version of I Know It's Over? Any idea what he plays during, "if you're so funny, why are you on your own tonight" part? I got this from a Smith's tab.

e----------15--12--
B------13-----------
G--14---------------
D--------------------
A--------------------
E--------------------

I figured out the intro to the 4 track version of Witches' Rave

e--------------------------------
B-------------------6---6---5---
G--7---7---7---7---7---7---6---
D--0---0---0---0---0---0---0---
A--5---5---4---5---5---5---4---
E--6---5---5---6---6---5---5---

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 4/3/2010, 01:12

I purchased my Quad today off Ebay. It's in mint condition so I ended up paying $200 for it.

As for a mic. How do you place it in relation to your amp? Do I need a mic stand to angle to mic a certain way? What do you do exactly?

Edited by Tequila Vampire - 4/3/2010, 03:25

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 4/3/2010, 04:44

I still have to buy a mic and usb thingy plus get my pickup installed. So much work, but it will be worth it.

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 4/3/2010, 05:02

What do you mean out in front or in the effects loop? I would probably just use the Quadraverb for all my effects.

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 4/3/2010, 05:30

QUOTE (YourFishIsSoNice @ 4/3/2010, 05:25)
QUOTE (Tequila Vampire @ 4/3/2010, 05:02)
What do you mean out in front or in the effects loop? I would probably just use the Quadraverb for all my effects.

It's a bit complicated, but:

Out in front = The Quad's signal hits before the preamp. Example: if you play with distortion, your reverb will also distort.

Effects loop = The Quad's signal hits after the preamp. Example: if you play with distortion, your reverb signal will stay clean/normal.

Playing clean will have little to no effect either way. It's only a deal breaker to those who play with some overdrive.

Here's a decent article on the subject:
www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/articles/loop.htm

How did Jeff use his Quad? I rarely use distortion anyway.

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 4/3/2010, 05:42

QUOTE (YourFishIsSoNice @ 4/3/2010, 05:38)
QUOTE (Tequila Vampire @ 4/3/2010, 05:30)
How did Jeff use his Quad? I rarely use distortion anyway.

With his Vibroverb, he ran his out in front. Guitar > Quad input. Amp > Quad output.

I'm not sure how he used it with the Tremoverb. I assume he split the signal in stereo when he ran biamped between the two amps.

This is all so confusing to me. I really don't know a damn thing about amps, effects. I basically just want to mimic Jeff's tone. Whatever he did I'll do. I'm counting on your expertise to hook me up with some sweet sounds. I'll make sure to give you mad props in my non existent album liner notes.

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 4/3/2010, 06:59

Will do.

babes in the wood
view post Posted on 4/3/2010, 16:17

QUOTE (YourFishIsSoNice @ 2/3/2010, 04:25)
I've never personally compared both, but, as far as effects go, they are exactly the same. From what I've read, Alesis realized how popular the Quad was among guitarists, so they set out to make a more guitar-friendly version (GT = guitar). The only downside is the GT's have a guitar preamp inside, which you cannot bypass. Although, I do not know precisely what that entails (constant distortion ?).

Here's the GT in action:
www.youtube.com/watch#v=vyFPjzbnb-I&feature=related

The reverb algorithms sound just like a regular quad.

Okay, I have a question. I'm not exactly guitar tech savvy because I've only played acoustic for the past couple of years since I started. What is a guitar preamp and why is it bad/why would I want to bypass it? My friend is letting me borrow his electric guitar and all I have is a relatively cheap amp so I don't know these things :P

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 6/3/2010, 09:05

Do you know how all the ambient sounds and drones in You & I were made? And do you know if Jeff recorded them or is that all Verlaine?

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 7/3/2010, 03:36

Was Jeff's rhythm pickup ever changed to your knowledge or is it the original stock pickup? Also how does your rail pickup balance with the neck pickup? Is there any hissing?

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 7/3/2010, 07:02

QUOTE (YourFishIsSoNice @ 7/3/2010, 05:24)
QUOTE (Tequila Vampire @ 7/3/2010, 03:36)
Was Jeff's rhythm pickup ever changed to your knowledge or is it the original stock pickup? Also how does your rail pickup balance with the neck pickup? Is there any hissing?

Not that I know of. I wouldn't think Jeff would have changed the neck pup. That sound served him very well.

The rail does overpower the neck. It's not so much a volume difference, as it is a difference in EQ. The mid-range character in the rail pup is very apparent. It cuts through a mix with ease. In theory, since it is a humbucker, there shouldn't be any hum, but the SD is a hot pickup. You will still get some buzz with a lot of gain - anything clean and you will be fine.

Cool. Something is wrong with my neck pickup. I can't produce any harmonics with it. I must have done something when removing the original plastic pick guard.

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 7/3/2010, 22:47

Yeah, I figured it was something along those lines.

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 9/3/2010, 23:27

What is the purpose of the plastic tube screw coverings that came with the SD rail pickup? The stock pickups have them as well.

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 10/3/2010, 06:27

QUOTE (YourFishIsSoNice @ 10/3/2010, 03:02)
QUOTE (Tequila Vampire @ 9/3/2010, 23:27)
What is the purpose of the plastic tube screw coverings that came with the SD rail pickup? The stock pickups have them as well.

The pickup is held in place by two screws with tubes around them. By loosening or tightening the screws, you can adjust the height of the pickup. The tubes keep the screws in place, so that the pickup doesn't just fall through the bridge. Most guitars are made this way, excepting the few that have the pickups "direct-mounted" to the body. :)

By the way, when is your Quadraverb supposed to arrive?

Thanks. When I put my chrome pickguard on I think I left one of those plastic coverings off the screw. Perhaps that is leading to my problems with the neck pickup.

My Quad was shipped last Thursday. The guy said expect it to be 5-7 business days. So I'm expecting it by the end of the week or early next week.

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 10/3/2010, 22:43

I received my Quad today. Can you give me some help setting it up? Thanks. How do I hook up the Quad to my amp and guitar?

Edited by Tequila Vampire - 11/3/2010, 00:48

572 replies since 12/1/2010, 05:10   24362 views