The JBC: A Jeff Buckley Community

The JB Musical Gear/Tab Thread, Guitars/Amps/Effects/Etc...

« Older   Newer »
Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 1/2/2010, 03:08

QUOTE (YourFishIsSoNice @ 1/2/2010, 00:22)
QUOTE (Tequila Vampire @ 31/1/2010, 23:19)
That mic plugs into computers?

Did you install that Seymour Duncan pickup on your guitar yourself? Is the difference in tone really noticeable?

I don't have a proper mixer or preamp, so the mic is plugged into a DigiTech JamMan and that goes into a Line 6 PodXT. However, the Pod is completely bypassed, so the tone is intact. The only reason I do this is because the Line 6 has a USB cable, which is the only method I have of connecting straight into the computer.

I did install it myself. It was my first solder job and I was a bit worried that I'd screw it up, but it turned out to be simple. The pickup is quite hotter than the stock tele pickup. Sustains longer. A ton of compression and the attack is much more immediate. It can be really cold and metallic too. In my opinion, some of our complaints about the brittleness of the live shows can be attributed to the combination of the SD and Jeff's Vibroverb settings. I wouldn't call it a warm pickup.

The SD can get into hard rock/metal territory (with the right amp). Although, it won't quite have the girth of a regular sized HB, which is probably why Jeff bought a Les Paul. I find it's really good for playing leads. Compared to the stock pickup, you don't get any tonal drop out whilst doing bends, as it uses a rail instead of separate pole pieces for each string.

The deciding factor, I think, is which version of Jeff's sound you prefer. Solo or with the live band. Personally, ever since I heard "That's All I Ask" from Live À L'Olympia, I had to have it! If you like that sort of harmonic & piercing tone, the SD is that sound.

If I were to buy that mic, what would I need to plug it into my computer for recording?

Are you sure that's the SD in That's All I Ask? Jeff seemed to rarely even use his bridge pickup. I assume he got the pickup for Kick Out The Jams and Eternal Life exclusively.

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 7/2/2010, 10:29

Do you know where I can purchase a Quadraverb other than ebay? I don't have a paypal account. Do you know if the Quad II or newer Alesis units have the same options/effects as the original or are they completely different?

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 8/2/2010, 08:49

QUOTE (YourFishIsSoNice @ 8/2/2010, 02:47)
The only other place I can find online is this: www.musicgoround.com/search.aspx?q=...&max=&c=10&ob=6
However, I'm not sure of their shipping policies. :(

Do you have someone who could order one off of ebay? I also don't have a Paypal account, so I gave my money to a relative who did and they got it for me.

The Quadraverb GT (original Quad reworked for guitar) and Quadraverb 2 should get you close. Of the newer Alesis units, your best bet would be the MidiVerb 4. I know it is quieter and capable of massive sounding reverb, but I don't have any first hand experience of how it compares.

Does the Quad come with a foot switch?

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 9/2/2010, 01:40

QUOTE (YourFishIsSoNice @ 8/2/2010, 13:07)
Since I bought mine used, not that I'm aware of. Jeff used an ART X-11 Midi Master Control for his.

(IMG:www.daddys.com/images/usedgear/ART6613_1.jpg)

Does that floorboard work with the Quad? Is that what Jeff used to switch between effects?

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 12/2/2010, 00:03

I just got my SD Rail pickup today. Now I just need to figure out where to take my guitar to have it installed.

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 22/2/2010, 08:07

QUOTE (YourFishIsSoNice @ 22/2/2010, 04:45)
Tequila, if you have time, could you work out the fingerpicking part at 1:26?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsPpAitcX1c

Thanks. :hi:

Asking me to figure out how to play like Gary Lucas is like asking Gandalf how he blows viking ships of smoke. I've always wondered how he played that part as well. I'll see if I can figure it out.

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 26/2/2010, 03:41

QUOTE (YourFishIsSoNice @ 26/2/2010, 03:34)
How goes the progress of your pickup? Did you find someone to install it yet?

If you are still looking for one, here's another place that is selling a Quad:
www.daddys.com/detail.php?itemTitle...Number=ALE7165A

I still haven't got it installed.

Thanks for the link. Though I'm not sure if I should order without seeing a pic. How much did you pay for yours again?

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 26/2/2010, 23:39

QUOTE (YourFishIsSoNice @ 26/2/2010, 10:59)
My quad was around $60. It didn't come with a power supply. If you end up needing one, they are pretty easy to find.
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/pro...-Din?sku=182504

Quad + Power Supply & shipping = just under $100 total.

Why wouldn't they include the power supply with the Quad? I'm afraid of ordering one without seeing a pic and having it show up in shambles.

babes in the wood
view post Posted on 27/2/2010, 22:19

This thread has motivated me to actually start saving some cash so I can get myself a quadraverb. I love the sound so much.

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 28/2/2010, 05:22

QUOTE (YourFishIsSoNice @ 26/2/2010, 03:34)
How goes the progress of your pickup? Did you find someone to install it yet?

If you are still looking for one, here's another place that is selling a Quad:
www.daddys.com/detail.php?itemTitle...Number=ALE7165A

I was going to order my Quad from the link you provided but they don't offer international shipping.

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 2/3/2010, 03:19

What is the difference between the Quadraverb and Quadraverb GT?

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 2/3/2010, 04:45

QUOTE (YourFishIsSoNice @ 2/3/2010, 04:25)
I've never personally compared both, but, as far as effects go, they are exactly the same. From what I've read, Alesis realized how popular the Quad was among guitarists, so they set out to make a more guitar-friendly version (GT = guitar). The only downside is the GT's have a guitar preamp inside, which you cannot bypass. Although, I do not know precisely what that entails (constant distortion ?).

Here's the GT in action:
www.youtube.com/watch#v=vyFPjzbnb-I&feature=related

The reverb algorithms sound just like a regular quad.

Cool thanks.

What exactly do I need for recording and uploading to my computer? You gave me this link for a mic.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/produ...-Mic?sku=270102

Other than a mic you suggested

what else do I need to record and upload to my computer?

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 2/3/2010, 05:01

Another thing I've always wondered and thought you would probably know. What is the purpose of the string saddle on Fender headstocks? Older models had two of them, newer models just have the one.

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 2/3/2010, 06:01

QUOTE (YourFishIsSoNice @ 2/3/2010, 05:44)
QUOTE (Tequila Vampire @ 2/3/2010, 04:45)
Cool thanks.

What exactly do I need for recording and uploading to my computer? You gave me this link for a mic.

Other than a mic you suggested

what else do I need to record and upload to my computer?

Other than a mic and a microphone preamp, you will probably need a microphone cable and a usb cable for your microphone preamp.

Mic cable:
www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=microphone+cable

USB cable:
www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=usb+cable

I believe this preamp already comes with a usb cable:
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/produ...face?sku=703669

QUOTE (Tequila Vampire @ 2/3/2010, 05:01)
Another thing I've always wondered and thought you would probably know. What is the purpose of the string saddle on Fender headstocks? Older models had two of them, newer models just have the one.

I asked someone once and this is what they told me:

Butterfly String Trees
"Look at a Gibson Les Paul. The headstock tilts back from the line of the neck. This tilt ensures that the strings will "break" across the nut at a sufficient angle. The Telecaster and Strat headstocks do not tilt back. And they are 6-in-line headstocks, rather than 3x3. So, as you move "up" on the Tele from the 6th (low E) string on the headstock, to the 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd and 1st, the angle gets more and more shallow. This would prevent the strings from breaking properly across the nut. So the string tree holds down the strings on the 1st and 2nd strings, and sometimes also on the 4th and 3rd strings.

The American Deluxe models, interestingly, solve the problem of string angle differently. There are no string trees; instead, the height of the tuning pegs changes, with 6th and 5th strings being lowest, 4th and 3rd at middle height, and 2nd and 1st pegs highest.

So those are 3 ways of ensuring adequate angle across the nut: 1) angle the peghead, 2) string trees, 3) varied tuning peg height."

Would adding a second string be beneficial at all?

As for Gary Lucas' Grace tab, I'm at a complete loss.

I wonder if you can figure out this guitar part. It's from a Jesus Lizard song. It seems very simple but I can't grasp it.

The little riff at the :42 mark.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW8UUKqQGO4

He plays it again at 2:42 with a better camera angle.

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 3/3/2010, 05:33

QUOTE (YourFishIsSoNice @ 3/3/2010, 04:04)
No. The old string tree design was just to help with the break angle. Modern Fenders have fixed this problem by gradually lowering the tuners. There is no tonal difference whatsoever. The only major hardware difference between something like Jeff's tele and our modern ones would be the bridge. Top-loader teles are a bit easier to play/do bends.

Jesus Lizard
I figured out the chord shape:
e: X
B: 13
G: 14
D: 11
A: 12
E: X

You have to slide the whole chord one semitone and play the following.

This is basically what he's repeating: (s) = slide
e----------------------------------------
B--------------15(s)14----------14(s)13
G--------------------------------15(s)14
D----------------------11(s)12)---------
A------12(s)13--------------------------
E----------------------------------------

That's just a skeleton; It's not complete, but this should get you there. Just stick with the chord. image

If top load bridges are easier for playing why did they switch the bridge in new models?

I'm still confused on this tab. The chord is definitely right but I can't figure out the rhythm. He's seems to be plucking individual strings.

572 replies since 12/1/2010, 05:10   24362 views