The JBC: A Jeff Buckley Community

Who should play the part of Jeff Buckley?

« Older   Newer »
Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 8/11/2009, 23:49

You people are nuts. This Mark Rendall looks nothing like Jeff. He has blue eyes and red hair as well. Franco is the closest resemblance by far.

Moodswing Whiskey
view post Posted on 9/11/2009, 02:17

Expression wise, Mark Rendall is probably the closest by far, but his eyes and hair are all wrong. Franco is similar, but he certainly does not have the acting skills or voice for it.
I think this film should never be made though - how the hell are you ever going to find someone who resembles Jeff so much that it's convincing? Especially for us JBC members - clearly we're all die hard fans, so no mere actor will ever be able to come close to representing Jeff. He was such a multifaceted character - his qualities could never possibly be reinacted by someone else.
Plus, if Jeff was here I think he would laugh in the faces of those who proposed this biopic idea.

citydress
view post Posted on 9/11/2009, 05:04

QUOTE (Moodswing Whiskey @ 9/11/2009, 11:17)
I think this film should never be made though - how the hell are you ever going to find someone who resembles Jeff so much that it's convincing? Especially for us JBC members - clearly we're all die hard fans, so no mere actor will ever be able to come close to representing Jeff. He was such a multifaceted character - his qualities could never possibly be reinacted by someone else.
Plus, if Jeff was here I think he would laugh in the faces of those who proposed this biopic idea.

Agreed with all of this.

Realistically, Franco will never happen because he's too old for the part now and he looks it. Red hair and blue eyes are easily fixed with wigs and contacts. I think Mark carries the general feel of Jeff quite well, with the advantage of looking quite similar to him.

But I gotta hold myself back from getting too hung up on any one guy, because I'm joining in the chorus of those who really doubt this project will ever go ahead. At least not for a long long while, anyway.

Sardonyx
view post Posted on 9/11/2009, 08:39

Back in June Mary Guibert firmly stated that the biopic would be done. No doubt the screenplay is a huge undertaking.

I think a lot of people underestimate the talents of James Franco. He's an amazing method actor. He didn't get critical acclaim for nothing with his roles as James Dean, Saul Silver (in Pineapple Express) and Scott Smith (in Milk). The fact that he looks most like JB out of all the actors mentioned is also icing on the cake.

An actor is just that; it's their job to take on the nuances of a character, and Franco has the experience and sensitivity to do it. His eyes have a lot of depth. I don't see that with Mark Rendell.

James Franco can pass for someone under 30. A little shot of botox could get rid of the crease between his brows! Besides, what are make-up artists for?

I can't imagine anyone better for the role, end of story.

kneelamb
view post Posted on 9/11/2009, 21:47

I agree with Sardonyx, i am/was a fan and appreciator of James Franco's work and talent long before he was considered to play Jeff. He is known for really getting deep inside the character he is depticting, and pulls it off all the time. His portrayal of James Dean was pretty impressive.
The main thing putting me off him being chosen is that the movie will attract James' regular fans..the ones that mainly know him through the Judd Apatow movies and Spiderman and so on. Not that there's anything wrong with those folks, ergh I can't explain things well. hmph.
Mark Rendall has Jeff's smile! But his face is too 'pretty'. Writing that last sentence made me feel like a paedophile, comparing livestock.
Yeaah, i need sleep.

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 9/11/2009, 22:42

No need to look any further. I've found the perfect person to play Jeff.

Moodswing Whiskey
view post Posted on 9/11/2009, 22:49

What a lovely haircut :P

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 10/11/2009, 09:34

QUOTE (Moodswing Whiskey @ 9/11/2009, 22:49)

Yeah, if you're an emo flake.

Moodswing Whiskey
view post Posted on 10/11/2009, 10:23

QUOTE (Tequila Vampire @ 10/11/2009, 09:34)
QUOTE (Moodswing Whiskey @ 9/11/2009, 22:49)

Yeah, if you're an emo flake.

I guess I didn't make my sarcasm obvious enough :) and no, I don't believe even emo flakes have taste that bad.

z a r a
view post Posted on 12/11/2009, 22:11

What?? I do hope you're kidding.

He looks nothing like Jeff.

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 16/11/2009, 03:06

How about Pete Doherty? He's more handsome than Jeff though. This could be a problem.

Sardonyx
view post Posted on 25/11/2009, 22:33

The thread that wouldn't die... Normally I'm not one to speculate or postulate on things such as this, but I have a few comments to make!

You'd have to be a hermit in North America to not have seen the following actors in the media lately:

Robert Pattinson (doing promo work for "New Moon") -- catching the movie "Twilight" on my DVR, and watching an interview with him on "Ellen" only reconfirms my belief that he is wrong to be cast as JB. He was all right doing the vampire thing, but glowering and brooding will only get you so far. He came across as very self-deprecating, shy and even giggly on "Ellen". OK, that more than surprised me there. I like the guy, but I hope he never gets his hands on the "Mystery White Boy" script.

James Franco -- he's currently guest starring on the American soap opera "General Hospital". I'm a James Franco fan, so I caught a couple of episodes to see what he was up to. I know this is part of his "performance art" fling with artist John Carter, but it's amusing nonetheless. The verdict so far? How can anyone be so nonchalant yet overact at the same time? Too bad the script isn't better. BTW, it appears he's growing his hair out.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt -- Since I mentioned him in the past I thought I'd touch on him again. I know he's not a contender for the role, but damn! Anyone see him on "Saturday Night Live" on November 21st? I thought he'd be good cast as JB, and that was BEFORE I knew he could sing and dance. What a complete package he is. His opening monologue was a take from the movie "Singing in the Rain" where he sang "Make 'Em Laugh". He blended singing, dancing, comedy and a couple of back flips so effortlessly. Furthermore, in one skit he played Jason Mraz, quite convincingly too -- sang and played the guitar. The boy is impressive and he's younger and thinner than Franco. He doesn't look like JB, no one does, but with a mop of curly hair he'd be quite passable.

2 cents over!

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 25/11/2009, 23:48

QUOTE (Sardonyx @ 25/11/2009, 22:33)
The thread that wouldn't die... Normally I'm not one to speculate or postulate on things such as this, but I have a few comments to make!

2 cents over!

Where aboots in Canada are you from?

Sardonyx
view post Posted on 29/11/2009, 00:27

Here in the city with Grey Cup fever, Calgary!

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 29/11/2009, 22:50

QUOTE (Sardonyx @ 29/11/2009, 00:27)
Here in the city with Grey Cup fever, Calgary!

Are you Wally Buono? Football sucks almost as much as the Leafs.

201 replies since 24/8/2009, 10:28   8196 views