The JBC: A Jeff Buckley Community

Who should play the part of Jeff Buckley?

« Older   Newer »
TDKshorty
icon6  view post Posted on 18/9/2009, 16:11

What about Matt Dillon XD

z a r a
view post Posted on 20/9/2009, 22:05

lol, yeah.. Matt Dillon.. =p

I guess Franco would be okay, but I'd rather prefer someone unknown to play Jeff.
I've seen so many guys out there who has great resemblance. Franco doesn't have the sensual voice.....

kneelamb
view post Posted on 20/9/2009, 22:28

The more i think about it the more i realise there are quite alot of actors out there that look like/could pass for playing Jeff; looks-wise. Although i'm still insanely against the movie being made, i do like the idea of Johnny Depp playing Jeff, but because it's going to be Johnny, it'll make Jeff the 'hottest thing' in the entertainment world during it's release and promotion, which is kinda nauseating. It's all about the voice aswell, Jeff had a unique and captivating voice, talking 'and' singing wise, hm, how about Jared Leto?...aahhh has no-one made a petition to stop this movie before it starts yet? "/ maybe i will :P

Stars
view post Posted on 23/9/2009, 08:32

http://www.cinematical.com/2009/09/21/what...s-jeff-buckley/

Since we learned that the Jeff Buckley biopic is still in the works this past June, the news has evoked a myriad of responses. There are those that love the idea, those who loathe even the thought of Robert Pattinson taking the role, those who protest, and even those who want the gig for themselves. Personally, I've liked the idea of Pattinson -- not for his acting, but for his look and musical talents. Any Buckley biopic should have Jeff's music sung by himself, no covers allowed. But they still need the musical talent -- the man who can look wholly natural performing, and who has the talents to play the guitar as Buckley did, freeing any need for careful cuts and stand-in musical hands.

But if the thought of a Twilight actor is too much to bear, there's a Canadian actor who has somehow grown into the spitting image of Jeff Buckley over the last five years. (To be fair, some commenters named this actor back in June, but I quickly forgot about it, imagining the boy actor I first knew, and not the man he had become.) Mark Rendall.

In 2004 he starred in Don McKellar's Childstar, playing an overly spoiled young actor struggling with the demands of superstardom. When Charlie Bartlett came a few years later, he was still the same kid -- just a little bit older. Fast-forward a few more years, and I sat down on my couch to watch a screener for Sook-Yin Lee's first feature: Year of the Carnivore. Rendall plays a musician in the film, and without trying, he's the spitting image of Jeff Buckley (by looks alone, he'd be the most bang-on portrayal since Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison).

He's got the musician look, the lean frame, the disheveled hair, the eyes, the lips, and even the gentle, mouth-framing facial hair. And he plays the guitar! (As well as Buckley? Not sure ... that remains to be seen.) Is that enough to please you, Buckley fans? Or should the whole project just fade away?

citydress
view post Posted on 28/9/2009, 12:28

The whole project should just fade away. But whoa, Mark Rendall, hello. Dye that hair and grow a bit older and, though not as spitting as Franco, he would look very much like Jeff.

But is anyone getting the feeling that this film will never actually be made? It's been talked about and thrown around for years and years now, and wasn't it meant to be *released* in Septemberish this year or something? If they're waiting around for Jeff to become more famous in order for the endeavour to be more successful, then I really doubt anything will take off, because there's only so far you can move up in the world after you've died.

Tequila Vampire
view post Posted on 29/9/2009, 00:42

Wade Redden

AnjaŠ
view post Posted on 29/9/2009, 20:24

Hi everyone:)

So...I think it should be James Franco who plays Jeff (if the movie really has to be made). Personally, I think it'll be wierd to see anyone as Jeff but Franco could sorta pull it off I guess (he did a reasonably good job as James Dean). And the resemblance is pretty obvious.

insidemysoulforever
icon10  view post Posted on 12/10/2009, 14:43

QUOTE (citydress @ 26/8/2009, 12:46)
Gosh, I know, it's amazing how many people know of him now! I brought A Pure Drop with me on my travels, and have made so many friends through it - people seeing it, doing a double take, then shouting at me across the room "I LOVE Jeff Buckley!".

No Americans, however. Just Australian/French/British/Irish kids. But I'm sure he's growing in popularity over there too now, since the whole American Idol thing... poor dude.

hehehe yes us australians know what the sweet music is

mr703
view post Posted on 12/10/2009, 18:00

As of right now

if you go to James Franco's IMDB Page

it lists "Mystery White Boy" as his only project in development

I don't know how long that's been up there, or how accurate it is, but the other names that have been tossed around for the part don't have that in their profiles

I also don't have IMDB pro so can't see anything about the movie they have listed

dream sister
view post Posted on 22/10/2009, 19:07

Just found that

James, completely stoned but looking so like Jeff ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM0AgIqNaRI

Seems looking some recent videos that James is again thiner than a while, so perhaps is he preparing his "Jeff look" ? Who knows !

Grrrly10
view post Posted on 24/10/2009, 15:35

OMG that interview is hilarious!

James...

z a r a
view post Posted on 7/11/2009, 02:11

Pleeeeaase, MARK RENDALL. If this movie is going to be made (which I sadly think it will), Mark Rendall would be the closest to come as to playing Jeff. You guys, look at him, he's got THE face! I'm praying to GOD for this.

Elo2
view post Posted on 7/11/2009, 18:07

I didn't know him but you're right, he really looks like Jeff, he would be perfect

deaf_dumb_blind
view post Posted on 7/11/2009, 19:18

Oh my goodness...just googled Mark Rendall and I think he's become one of my top candidates to be Jeff. He's in a tie with Franco for me, lol. Though, I don't really know his acting ability, he sure looks like Jeff...

citydress
view post Posted on 8/11/2009, 01:17

He's a great actor - I think he could bring the intensity and eccentricities of Jeff to life... IF the film ever gets made. It's fun sorting out hypotheses, though.

Plus apparently he was the voice of Arthur, which was pretty much my favourite TV show when I was a kid, sooo my vote's for Mark. :)

201 replies since 24/8/2009, 10:28   8194 views