The JBC: A Jeff Buckley Community

the story of the "flower" guitar, memories

« Older   Newer »
brian817
view post Posted on 7/12/2010, 01:19 by: brian817

The name of the flower guitar is a BENTLY SERIES 10.

I saw one of these many years ago in a pawn shop when I first started playing, in the early '90s, but it was too expensive for just a cheap/copy guitar. Jeff was the only other person I knew of who owned one for many years, and I've seen only a few photos of some in people's collections of Telecasters online since. Last week though, just the body of one, with all the pickups and electronics, was on sale on ebay. I won it and should receive it by the end of this week.

On Jeff's guitar, which is at the HOF of course, he had a 6 saddle bridge, and what looks like a coil tap added to the control plate between the 2 knobs, at least in that clip of Vancouver. Neither of those were on the stock guitars to my knowledge. The guitar I'm receiving has a 3 saddle bridge, and the knobs were changed at some point. If you look closely at that closeup of Jeff's, there is a clear pickguard on it. On mine, the pickguard was removed.

So, with this story, and this clip, it would have been only less than 1 month after Jeff received that guitar in France. Either the changes were made to the guitar before Jeff pulled it off the wall, or he had them done. I see no need for a coil tap switch though with either of those pickups, but the bridge change was probably necessary to intonate it properly so it would be in tune. Another mystery though as anything could have been done to that guitar before Jeff got it and he played it just like it was.

Or, there's always a chance mine will have had the bridge changed out. I'll keep this thread updated though.

I'd love to see more photos of Jeff's though. Surely that has to be someone who has taken some closeups of his at the HOF, right?

18 replies since 24/8/2009, 00:19   4076 views